Monday, February 6, 2012

When a polar front arrives

We've been warned for a few days that a polar front is on its way.  Well, definitely not a warning one is used to if living in sunny SA!  By Friday night, while waiting for JL and his son to arrive from Reims, I've been watching the news which mainly focused on the cold weather.  We've been one of the regions that have been put on alert for the extreme cold weather on its way (even though we already had a few days behind us of day temp below 0°C!).  While no snow have been predicted for us, snow was predicted for north of Paris and it already started to snow in Lille.  News coverage showed their big square covered in snow and I was thinking of a year ago when they had the best weather in France.
I phoned JL to ask at what time they'll arrive, that I can have the food ready on their arrival.  To hear that it started to snow.  Amazed I opened the blind and the chairs were already covered in white.  I've realised the jasmin which I'm trying to pamper back to life (uncertain whether it is possible) is still outside, so brought it inside (fortunately it's been standing on the window sill, so I didn't have to go out).
I warned him that he might have a problem with our gate.  A friend of mine popped in for a quick tea late afternoon so I went to the boulanger only at 6.  My hands were frozen, in my hurry I forgot to put my gloves, I couldn't touch the steering wheel after the while and formed loops with my frozen fingers to keep the wheel inside of that.  And on my arrival back home it was already dark. The parking assistance went crazy until I finally realised I'm going to crash into the gate unless if I stop.  I got out and realised the gate opened only halfway (the one, the other one not at all).  I ended up parking in the street and pushed and pulled that gate which didn't want to open or close, until I've finally managed to get it close again.  Even the garage door is making a terrible squeek protesting against the cold, like our electric blinds in front of the windows.  But I've managed to close all.
Fortunately JL and his son arrived home safely and managed to get the gate open and close again.  On Saturday morning it was in the news that Reims hit the record in France with -19°C (I think it was for the built up areas, as I'm sure in the mountains it was much colder).  And we woke up to a winterwhite snowcovered fairytale world.  Despite no snow expected for the region, they were quick to open the roads and we could drive to Reims, as I wanted to attend the open day at Reims Management School to see if there's any course that might prevent my brain from rotting. The trees were so beautiful, the branches were all silverwhite and I wished I had the camera in the car.  Passing Sillery I was astonished to see the canal one solid white frozen piece.  It was freezing cold, but all our surroundings so beautiful.
On Sunday we've decided to brave the -7°C outside and go for a walk in the forest to get fresh air.  The car nearly didn't start, but to our relieve it eventually did.  The road to the forest was fine to drive and at the snow covered parking there was hardly any cars, so we could choose a sunny spot to park the car.  You could see footprints of animals in the snow.  The forest has such a different look in winter, you can see deep into the forest.  Some paths were difficult to walk as deep rows ploughed by mountain bikes were frozen, making the road uneven.  Very quickly I've regretted that I haven't thought of putting long johns under my pants, my legs were freezing.  Arriving home, they were itching and when I took a look, they were red red as if I had sunburnt under 40°C! All of the cold.  Tomorrow it will be worse than today, with a min day temp of -7°C.  So I am thankful for central heating inside the house!
JL was wearing a ridiculous funny knitted thing over his head that he bought somewhere years ago, but in this cold you rather do anything you can to stay warm and don't worry about the looks!
Even les faux look different in winter, you can see all the twists in the branches.  I think on Saturday morning with the snow still on the trees it must have been a very pretty sight

No comments:

Post a Comment