Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A smooth sales lady, a narrow staircase and a couch

Since we've arrived in Verzenay we've said that the mezzanine will be our library.  Due to our exceptional narrow staircase I refused that we even try to put JL's big heavy old couch, having been replaced by my set arriving from SA, on the mezzanine.  More than a year have passed before we commenced a serious search for a canapé.  In October we went several times to a new commercial centre with several furniture shops.  With my measuring tape.  Finally we've decided on one, but uncertain about the size of the canapé vs the size of our staircase, we went home to measure again.  And I went back on the Monday, with measurements of the height of the window on the first floor, as the only option would be through the window.  We didn't want to pay a fortune for such a type of delivery, so had to be sure whether they will charge us extra and if so, how much. Being the final decisive factor whether we buy it or not.  Ensuring us that the transport company won't charge us extra, that it is no problem to pass it through the window, etc etc, we went back in the evening after JL returned home.  I kept on emphasising the fact that il es impossible to go up the staircase, receiving the same answer, no problem. To make a long story short, she ensured us we'll have it before Christmas, a Saturday delivery is possible (so if it is ready while I'm in SA, JL can receive it on a Sa morning) and NO problem to pass it through the window at NO extra cost.
The canapé was ready while I was in SA.... 
A Saturday delivery was not possible, they'll do it during the week after my return.....
The team arrived under the impression the canapé has to go up the staircase... no equipment to lift it through the window...and realise it is impossible to go up the staircase....
By now it was already late in January and after many calls to the furniture company, the same delivery company arrived with a second team end of Jan. 
They were not informed by the first team that the canapé cannot go up the staircase... 
No equipment with them to lift it through the window... 
On my question how many teams do they have in the company I was told four, so I asked them to please inform the other two teams that it is not possible to go up the staircase.  Half an hour after they left, the first team arrived.  Without the required equipment.  Running up and down and up and down with their dirty shoes on my clean staircase.  And me getting more and more frustrated as no results are achieved except for a staircase that is now dirty.  Finally the guy measured it to say he thought it will pass.  I have just bitten on my teeth, because he didn't do his job in the first place and now he thinks I am so stupid to not remember that he did measure it the first time and if he was so sure, why didn't he deliver it in the first place. I had to sign on the delivery sheet that they need special equipment. Which I did and I told them if the canapé cannot be delivered, they can keep it, we want our money back, but we're not paying for such a circus.
After more calls to the furniture shop about the 'famous delivery in Verzenay', a new company arrived on Saturday morning.  Fortunately it didn't rain.  Fortunately they had the right equipment with them.  But we've realised that the window of the mezzanine is above the flower box, so not possible to make the lift stand beneath the window. By then I was really fedup with the drama.  The door between the office and the mezzanine seemed to small to pass the canapé through there, as I understood from JL they couldn't pass it through the front door (and me thinking in the back of my head I didn't hear the garage door opening for the delivery in the entrance, but in the chaos didn't want to ask more). Eventually it turned out they did deliver the canapé through the front door, it will be possible to get it through the door between the office and the mezzanine and the process of lifting it through the window of the office started.  It was a nerve wrecking exercise, especially when it reached the top, as it was difficult to get it into the window.  By the time the canapé was on its place, I told JL we'll sell it one day with the house. Enough is enough!
But for those clever business people, the day was an interesting proof of an interesting lesson.  It was the first time that the company had to do a delivery for the furniture shop. And I am sure after mission impossible being achieved, definitely not the last time.  They have a competitive advantage (the other company didn't have such a lift) that helped them to gain market share!
The narrow staircase:
Above: you can see the decorative barrier in front of the window that had to be unscrewed and tilted - just below the canapé
And finally:

No comments:

Post a Comment