Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Practicing my English

Yes, that's true. I have to write an English monkey puzzle test this coming Friday as part of my admission to the management school.  While the other big 'schools' leave you in peace if you have worked or studied in English, this one regards it obligatory for all.  Being the perfectionist that I am, I've searched on internet for some examples.  Some are tricky as the nuances are so subtle, so with a score ranging from 60% to 100% ...I'll have to see what Friday delivers.  At least now I am forced to catch up on the blog to practice my English :)  JL and I are not so impressed with the management of the management school, as I was suppose to be there last week, but two days before the date, I was told it will be this Friday (to receive two e-mails with wrong dates and times after that before finally receiving a good one). 
Last Friday I've had my session with the Chamber of Commerce (where you do the registration of the company).  It was quite stressful, as I've managed to get the confirmation from the newspaper on the Thursday just before they have closed. To be at the tax office Friday morning well in advance before opening (8.30) to ensure that I'll be on time for my appointment with the Chamber (9.00)! (Things need to take place in a certain order...) From there I've walked with the file to the Tribunal de Commerce, who need to do the final registration in order to provide us with a company reg nr.  Normally the Chamber sends it to the Tribunal, but since I've told her it is urgent, she proposed that I go and deliver it personally.  At the Chamber you receive a siren and a siret nr.  What all these numbers are for, I still need to find out... For now, I wait for the company reg nr, which will be send by post... Once I receive that, I need to drive to the bank again (our branch is in another small village 30 min from here, as JL never changed his bank during the last 30 years..) to open the bank account (they need the original k bis, which is the reg nr) and then to the tax office again, to get a VAT nr (as they also want the original k bis). At least I can say we're almost there.  Phoning the tax office to ask what is the clause I need to put on an invoice to a company in SA, as they do not have to pay VAT, I was told that I'm asking a complicated question.  One of my biggest frustrastions is that the systems in France are so complicated, and I more and more get the impression that it is even too complicated for the French themselves!
Between all these driving and playing taxi for JL since two weeks ago, I can associate with all the moms' taxis out there.  He had to return his car to his previous employer and with our move to Paris in the near future, I do not want us to buy another car, as we won't need a car when in Paris and parking is very expensive (and difficult to find).  But he is such a good husband, always appreciating that I take him to the station and come and fetch him again.
My French got further practice, though not in the desired way.  The source? Our washing machine broke last week.  Convinced that it is the same problem than a few months ago, I called for a technician.  After going through an answering service where you have to respond to options by selecting a nr on the phone, I've managed to talk to somebody. And realise I do not know what is a top loader in French.  But between me and the lady, we've managed to understand each other and I was told the technician will arrive this Monday afternoon.  Sunday night the technician phoned to ask if he can come early Monday morning. I was delighted, as by then I already had a mountain of washing to do and calculating in my head how many days it will take to catch up again. Monday morning he arrive, to tell me after about 15 minutes that it is a big breakdown, the cost to fix it is almost the cost of a new machine.  The machine is already 10 years old, so we've decided to rather buy a new one. But I still had to pay €76 for the guy to tell me that!
Then the research started, with a visit to three shops yesterday morning, more research back home, then back to the final shop yesterday afternoon. Telling them I only buy their machine if they can deliver it by latest on Thursday. Fortunately the machine was marked down, so even paying extra for another three years' guarantee, I still paid less than the full price. Now I'm waiting with a pile of washing for tomorrow afternoon... (sadly, after two years in France, I am not so confident that the delivery will take place on time or without issues...)

No comments:

Post a Comment