Sunday, December 18, 2011

Back in France

For the first time I arrived in France experiencing a warm welcome by government officials.  The guy at the passport control was so impressed with my 'good' French, even his colleague next to him interrupted us to say my French is very good (ha ha, I'm not convinced!).  According to them there are many etrangers who cannot speak French at all.  Then, to my surprise, the guy returned my passport with a 'baie dankie'!  When I told him mais vous parlez afrikaans! he was telling me he travelled to SA and he loved it, SA is a magnificent country (I wish more South Africans will realise that).  In a hurry, as I was sure the long queue behind me was not impressed that I'm slowing down the progress, I didn't want to ask him about his trip, but it was so good to feel welcomed by someone who appreciates your country!
At the luggage delivery the first few suitcases arrived soaking wet. And then, all was stopped, an anouncement made that the delivery is suspended due to the weather, they cannot say when it will recommence.  After more than an hour I finally got my suitcase.  To hear from JL that there is a violent storm, the wind was blowing at full force and a lot of water on the road after downpours. He was fearing the aeroplane won't be able to land.  I could understand why we had to wait for the luggage.
This morning we woke up in a fairyland as everything was covered in snow.  Yesterday we did our last Christmas shopping in Reims - with a blue sky, so the snow was a bit of a surprise to me.  JL also bought me perfume as a welcome home gift and have been cooking all the meals since I'm back - seems to me like a good idea to have a two week break each year... :)
This morning we walked carefully through the snow down the street to visit Verzenay's Christmas market in the salle de fête.  By this afternoon we decided my car's battery needs a bit of exercise. The roads were cleared by les chasses-neige (snow hunters, the direct translation, of te wel stootskrapers wat die sneeu uit die pad skraap), so JL insisted that I drive. It was funny to drive, watching the snow flying off the car onto the road.  With the sky blue by then, I really felt like having the best of both worlds - summer in SA and now a fairytale white winter world with blue sky.  On our return, the Christmas 'optog' through the village commenced - a carriage with Christmas father drawn by two horses, followed by numerous kids and parents.  Fortunately we have parked the car just before then, as the procession passed the house.
My trip in SA was wonderful, although not enough time to see everyone.  After a crash visit in Gauteng I had to buy Strepsils on my arrival in the Cape, as my throat was just too sore after all the talking!  Thanks to everyone who did so much effort to see me, for all the breakfasts, lunches, coffees and dinners, not to talk about all the beautiful gifts! I'll write individual mails to thank you. 
I'll catch up in the next few weeks with all our other visits we've done the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment